24 August 2006

Attack In Decani

August 23, 2006
KiM Info Newsletter 23-08-06
Serb man beaten up in downtown Decani

KIM Info ServiceDecani, August 22, 2006A Serb man named Vuko Danilovic (age 55), who was taking part in a "multiethnic camp" program with a group of five Serb children, was beaten up yesterday in downtown Decani. The "multiethnic camp" which began on August 21 brought together 30 Serb, Albanian and Roma children and was organized for the purpose of enhancing cooperation among communities on the territory of the municipality of Decani. Danilovic, a teacher in Decani before the war, came with a group of Serb children from Berane (Montenegro), where most Serb refugees from the Decani area have been living for the past seven years."In the morning we visited the municipal building where we were very courteously received by the mayor, Nazmi Selmanaj. After that we went to the main town square, where we bought ice cream for the children. A number of people approached me to say hello and shake hands because I had quite a few Albanian friends before the war. Everything seemed peaceful and ordinary; there were quite a few people in the streets. Suddenly, a young man approached me and, while swearing at me, began to hit me with his fists in the head and the stomach. As I attempted to defend myself another young Albanian approached and likewise began to beat me. I fell to the ground from the force of the blows. By the time my colleagues from the group ran to my aid the attackers had disappeared. After receiving medical attention I filed a report with the (Kosovo Police Service)," said Vuko Danilovic, who visited Visoki Decani Monastery this afternoon with the children from the "multiethnic camp".Because of the shock they experienced the Serb members of the "multiethnic camp" left for Montenegro this evening, where Danilovic will undergo a thorough physical since he has a bad headache and does not hear anything with his right ear.The incident in downtown Decani demonstrates that necessary conditions for free movement of the Serb population in this part of Metohija still do not exist..